Buffalo Audubon Society

Our History

The Buffalo Audubon Society is devoted to promoting the appreciation and enjoyment of the natural world through education and stewardship.

Timeline of Major Events

1909

"A meeting will be held at the Central High School on Court Street on Monday evening, May 10, 1909, at 8 o'clock for the purpose of organizing a branch of the Audubon Society. You are cordially invited to attend." - Frank Fosdick, George Turner, Charles Parke, Frederick Vogt, Arthur Williams.

1915

Through the splendid cooperative work of the Buffalo School Department, the Society of Natural Sciences and the Audubon Society, 125 Junior Audubon "circles" were formed in the Buffalo schools to promote education about the economic value of wild birds and the necessity for their protection.

1918

Congress approves the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918.

1938

Roger Tory Peterson presented a lecture entitled "The Pageant of Bird Life" co sponsored by Buffalo Audubon, the Garden Center Institute, and the Buffalo Ornithological Society.

1939

Buffalo Audubon sponsored a bird lecture by Allen D. Cruickshank of the Audubon summer camp in Maine. Harold Mitchell spoke at the 30th Annual Meeting.

Touching a bird

1948

On January 9, the Audubon Society of Buffalo became the Buffalo Audubon Society, Inc. with Edward C. Avery, Helene L. Coyle, Harold D. Mitchell, Mrs. Joseph M. Overfield, Jr., Gertrude G. Webster, and Adrian B. Wells acting as incorporators for the Society. 1951 On April 30, a letter was sent to all Society members asking for contributions toward the purchase of 48.5 acres of property in the town of Java. Drained by Beaver Meadow Creek on its westerly flow to the valley of Buffalo Creek, in a watershed marked by active as well as abandoned dams of our most irrepressible animal residents, it was appropriately christened Beaver Meadow Wildlife Refuge.

1957

Florence Cummings of Chicago deeded 45.5 acres of Allenberg Bog to the Society.

1960

At the request of the Jamestown Audubon Society, Buffalo Audubon agreed to cosponsor a weekend camp at Allegany State Park, now known as the Allegany Nature Pilgrimage.

1973

David Bigelow was appointed as the first director naturalist of the Beaver Meadow Center in June, and he and his wife moved into the newly completed Mabel James Residence in mid November.

1975

The Ayer-Stevenson Refuge and the 53-acre Rose Acres Refuge were accepted by the Society. The original visitor center at Beaver Meadow was dedicated.

1978

David Junkin stepped into his new position as director naturalist

2000

The Beaver Meadow expansion was dedicated.

1988

The first Annual Ground Hog Day Snowshoe Softball game was held at Beaver Meadow.

2007

After nearly six years of work led by conservation committee chair Liz Kazubski, land purchases for Buffalo Audubon's sixth preserve, the North Tonawanda Klydel Wetlands, were completed.

2009

Purchase of Ghost Pond preserve

More information can be found in our centennial history.